Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Benefits of Coconut Oil

So, we've heard that Coconut Oil is good for you.  The thin I LOVE about Coconut Oil, is that it not only is beneficial, it smells and tastes wonderful!!!  If you use it in place of butter, margarine, or about any other oil in baking recipes it tastes SO delicious!!!!  Our family actually loves to cook our eggs in it.  I also add a couple tablespoons to my brown rice when I make it.  It adds a rich wonderful flavor.


Coconut oil is extremely healthy.  It is a fat, so a lot of people would stay away from it due to the caloric content But the truth is, that,  "it contains short and medium-chain fatty acids that help in taking off excessive weight. It is also easy to digest and it helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems. Further, it increases the body metabolism by removing stress on pancreases, thereby burning out more energy and helping obese and overweight people reduce their weight. Hence, people living in tropical coastal areas, who eat coconut oil daily as their primary cooking oil, are normally not fat, obese or overweight."


It also is very good for your, hair, bones (teeth), skin, killing virus's, etc...  It helps healthy growth of your hair, and gives it a shiny look.  Regular massages with Coconut Oil takes away, dandruff, lice, and lice eggs.  It also smells so wonderful, so I would have no problem using it on my hair/skin.  It helps your skin as a moisturizer, and helps delay your skin getting wrinkles, or sagging with age.  It can also help with skin problems (i.e. eczema).


Mixing honey and Coconut Oil helps with a hoarse throat.  Today I had a TERRIBLE hoarse voice.  I also have a cough.  I ate some honey mixed with coconut oil and flaked, unsweetened, organic coconut.  My voice started getting better right away.  It soothed it and I was able to talk without it sounding raspy.  


Coconut oil is also great for the immune system.  "It strengthens the immune system as it contains antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. The human body converts lauric acid into monolaurin which is claimed to help in dealing with viruses and bacteria causing diseases such as herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus, and even HIV."


 "Coconut oil helps in controlling blood sugar, and improves the secretion of insulin. It also helps in effective utilization of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes."

Calcium helps your bones and teeth because it facilitates absorption of calcium by the body.  That is very important.  So, it can help you have stronger teeth and lessen your chance of getting osteoporosis, or other bone problems.  

I have used Coconut Oil as a moisturizer on my face, and it never made me break out.  I have done the same thing with Olive Oil.  Something about those oils don't make you break out into acne.  At least they didn't cause me any problem.

I just think that over all it is a wonderful oil.  I love things you can use to cook with and it is good for you.  
One other thing that is wonderful is that when you heat it up it doesn't go rancid and release free radicals like olive oil and some other oils do.  
Try cooking with it! I think it is a wonderful alternative in many things!!!!

Hope you like Coconut!  If you don't now, maybe after this you'll just have to develop a taste for it!!! =)

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I love coconut!

    btw, I love your blog colors...I had mine as the same ones for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coconut, too!!!!!

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete