Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"Delight thyself also in the Lord: and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart" Psalm 37:4


The year of 2011 has been the year of the most spiritual growth for me in my entire life, and the month of December has been the best month I've ever known.  What is the reason you ask?  There's a simple reason.  I spent the most time with the Lord during the month of December than I ever have before.  I didn't really have any interest in spending time in God's word when I was younger.  I was more interested in other things.  God has really been pulling me closer to Him in this past year.  I decided to set a challenge for myself in December.  I truly wanted to grow to be more godly, and to know my Savior better, and like a friend, the best way is to spend more time with Him.  So, my goal was to read the Bible twice a day (morning and evening) for the whole month.  I also knew that it is probably the busiest month of my year.  I thought that the challenge would be good for me.  During the Christmas season I wouldn't get caught up in all the activity, it would help me stay focused on Christ.  I will say that I missed two evenings in the middle of the month.  I forgot.  No, I can't say I went a whole month reading the Bible twice a day, but I think it's good, as I hope you read this knowing that I don't write it in pride and I'm  not here to brag, but to share how much I grew in this past month, and to encourage others to seek God more, and to reap the blessings that come when you do.  I'm so far from where I want to be, being the sinner I am,  but that's all the more reason to seek God.  I'm so thankful for wonderful people in my life who have encouraged to seek God more.  They may not have even known it.  God uses all different people in many ways.  He definitely has a plan for each life, created for a purpose.  I've never felt closer to God.  I feel a sense of joy, peace and contentment that I haven't really felt before.  I didn't know what it was like until now.  I realized that this is kind of what everyone wants, but they don't go about trying to get it the right way.  They seek happiness from relationships, friendships, food, alcolhol, drugs, money, stuff, etc.... There are so many distractions in this world, all holding empty promises.  We try something thinking, "maybe this will make me happier!", or, "now I'll be happy!"  but we soon feel the loss of something great. Matt 7:7-8 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."If we seek empty promises, we get emptiness, if we seek the will of God and His holiness, we will gain the blessings from God.  I just had no idea how much change could happen in myself in a short month.  All I can say is it wasn't me.  I just started seeking to know Him more, and delighting myself in Him, and he is bringing me blessings and joy.  Of course life is tough sometimes, but I've found that I have more strength to get through those moments, or days.  The thing that I've found to be the most uplifting and unburdensome thing to do is just sing praises to God, whether it's in my heart, or out loud.  I LOVE reading (or singing) psalms!  They make my heart soar in thankfulness.  I did the challenge for a month, to see what it'd be like.  I'm now starting on my second month, ready to keep up the challenge.  I find myself going through the day, looking forward to the next time I'll spend time with God.  I don't set a time limit on myself, I just do what I can.  I soak in the Word, and spend time in prayer.  Nothing has been so peaceful or brought such contentment.  I look forward to seeing what the next year brings.  I praise the Lord for his undying grace and mercy towards me!
"Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you." John 15:16I pray that He draws each one of you closer to Him with each passing day, drawing you into the center of His will.  May you be filled to overflowing with His love, sharing it with everyone you are around.

"Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will know God because they know you."
- Unknown

I hope you all have a blessed year in 2012!!!
Love to you all in Christ,
Summer

2 comments: