Monday, October 11, 2010

My Bible time this morning

While I was having my Bible time this morning, this verse really stuck out to me.  I have read it before I know, and I liked it, (because I had underlined it), but it just really spoke to me today.  I guess in a different way than before.

I will write it out, then explain why it stood out.

"Your adornment must not be merely external - braiding the hair, and waring jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit which is precious in the sight of God."

I know that when you read a verse one time, it can speak to you in a totally different way than ever before.  This happened to me today.
Today I really caught that it said "merely."  It doesn't say that you shouldn't braid your hair, wear jewelry, or put on dresses, it say, it must not *merely* be external.  You should have a beauty deeper then what is external.  "Let it be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit.  I really want to work on having a gentle and quiet spirit.  I want people to see Christ in me when they look at me, not my outward appearance.  I think that's what it means here.  You don't have to look plain in how you dress, fix your hair, etc..., but it is about who you are on the inside, not out.  I find, taking the verse parts at a time help me understand them better.  I read verses over and over just to get the whole effect sometimes.  I actually did it today with Colossians 2:7.   
"Having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude." Colossians 2:7
I knew that it was a wonderful verse, but I had to read it over and over again so that I could understand the full meaning of it, and just let it sink in.  Sometimes I find it so hard to read much of the Bible at a time, just because by going slowly I can gain so much more!!!  It is so deep and sometimes hard to understand, and I don't just want to skim over it.  I want to know what God is telling me by writing it.

Well, I just got so much out of those two verses today!  I wonder what verses God will show me tomorrow.... :)

Thank you God, for you Word.  Our sword of  Truth!!!

2 comments:

  1. Summer you are such a encourager to me I love you so much!! Allene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love you so much, too!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete